|The second horrific day of the captive selection process in the killing cove
as 200 plus dolphins were tormented for another grueling 8 hours
as dolphins were individually caught to be examined for captivity
Horrific day in Taiji Japan at The Cove for the 250+ (minus the 25 taken yesterday) exhausted and traumatized bottlenose dolphins on the 2nd day of the awful captive selection. This is the dolphins 3rd day without food, and fresh fish provide all the dolphins water requirements, so they are dehydrated too. Of course, all days are horrific in Taiji when the killers are in The Cove with dolphins. The Raw GREED of the Taiji killers was awful as they continued to harass these poor dolphins for hours today after yesterdays awful experience, and the day before, the terrifying hunt drive from the ocean.....these dolphins are exhausted, miserable and heartbroken.
|Killers working the dolphins in the net, dolphins looking at the "monsters".
There is no aggression towards the killers from the dolphins,
even under these extreme conditions
From watching the live selection on the Sea Shepard Cove Guardian's Livestream broadcast:
The day started with the killers moving the nets to organize the poor dolphins to make it easier for the killers to continue choosing dolphins for captivity for the rest of their now shortened lives. The killers covered the rocky shore of The Cove with bright yellow plastic to keep the dolphins from getting stuck on the rocks as they frantically try and escape the frightening divers in black wetsuits.
|Three divers surround a dolphin while his friends refuse to leave his side.
|Sheer chaos erupts as dolphins try to free themselves and rush the net
|The killers intimidate the dolphins to control them
by deliberately running their skiffs motors at them,
this dolphin was badly injured as the propeller
cut it, but the killers don't care
Whenever the killers activity slowed down, the dolphins would swim in endless, terrified circles trying to keep away from the empty skiffs, and get some small comfort from close body contact with their family members.
|Killers were quickly trying to hide the death of a captive Spotted dolphin
Caught earlier in the week, it was taken to the butcher house.
|Despite exhaustion these dolphins fought for every last bit of freedom.
|One of many dolphins injured in the selection process, looks for a way out
Quota = 557 bottlenose dolphins allowed to be taken for captivity and slaughter
319 caught so far for the season, not counting this 250 bottlenose pod.
87 killed - these were slaughtered for meat.
71 live-capture - these are going to live the rest of their now shortened lives in captivity.·
158 total take - all the bottlenose dolphins taken so far this year by the killers.
160 released - from the 319 caught, these bottlenose dolphins were released as unfit for captivity and slaughter.
Quota = 557 which means there are 399 more allowed! That is nearly twice this bottlenose dolphin pod.
15 dolphins were taken today into captivity sadly, 1 of those dolphins died and was taken to the butcher house. Yesterday was 25, so the total numbers of bottlenose dolphins taken so far is 40. We will find out the total numbers tomorrow, and the Quota numbers will be adjusted then....remember there are 399, minus 40 = 359 more bottlenose dolphins allowed to be captured or slaughtered!
|The remaining pod left for a third night in the killing cove.
....Another horrific day in Taiji ends.
~ Kindness for Animals
See and find out more about this incredibly sad day:
- Sea Shepard Cove Guardian PHOTOS of the awful day
- Ric O'Berry's Dolphin Project PHOTOS and commentary of the awful day
Day 4 - 3rd Day of Captive Selection
News Reports of what was happening:
- The Daily Mail UK Online: REPORT "Dolphins including rare albino worth millions await their fate after being rounded up in cove while Japanese fishermen will decide whether they live or die"
- The Daily Mail UK Online: REPORT "Cruel Japanese fishermen pick 25 dolphins for aquarium life from a captive pod of 250 as remainder face 'mass slaughter'"
- CNN: REPORT "Group: 250 dolphins await slaughter, lifetime of captivity at Japan's Taiji Cove."
- Share news about the Taiji Slaughters with your family and friends.
- Share on all your social media sites, Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, everywhere you can and spread the news that this is happening. The more people who know, the greater the pressure on the Japanese government to stop this.
- Do not buy a ticket to any aquarium that has captive dolphins and whales - the demand for captive cetaceans provides a market for the Taiji Killers and they make huge amounts of money, take away their incentive!
- Do not buy a ticket to any swim with dolphin programs - the demand for dolphins provides a market for the Taiji Killers and they make huge amounts of money, take away their incentive!
- Please contact news media and ask them to cover this tragedy happening in Taiji.
- If you know anyone in Japan who you can share this with, PLEASE share. Most people in Japan Do Not know this is happening, the Japanese government and news media don't want this exposed. They call it "Tradition", well slavery was a "Tradition" for most countries through out history, so calling something "Tradition" does not make it right.